Sunday 16 February 2014

Summary of Posts on my Journal about Software

Most of my spreadsheets can be found at ExcelCalc's, with sample printouts of some of the spreadsheets found over on my scribd profile. Since my spreadsheets largely make use of visual basic for applications (vba) via the use of a central add-in technical library (schTechLIB), and functions also use data access objects (DAO), along with MS Access databases for section properties as well as a central Excel spreadsheet, the spreadsheets are not so easy to set up and use. Consequently I have written some posts over on my Metamorphs Journal {Metamorphs = Beyond Structures} to provide further background. I have also been making other spreadsheets available via my blog. ExcelCalc's is really for presentation of calculations via the use of XLC, where as my primary interest is putting the calculations to work behind the scenes.  Presentations of calculations on a printed page has relatively limited options, where as user interfaces and user experience requirements produces calculations in a multitude of different forms. {ExcelCalc's policies therefore largely prevent me from replicating what is already there: seemingly trivial stuff I don't need to download, as been there done that, and created myself many years ago, but also not able to upload my variations either. Well actually I probably can upload, but that may then spawn a debate about replication: I don't want to go there. ExcelCalc's is largely a repository of calculations and/or formula rather than tools to perform the calculations.}

Designing the user interface is also not my domain, its the behind the scenes number crunching that I focus on. Also it isn't one-off calculations or point-value calculations which interest me, but calculations across some domain. So not the point-value calculations to design a single structure which is of interest, but the limitations of the available structural materials for a given structural form. For example what is the maximum envelope which can be provided by the available cold-formed c-sections in the form of a rigid moment frame? What is the largest practical parallel chord roof truss that can be fabricated and installed? How do these limitations relate to manufacturing economics? These are interests and questions, actually answering them is another matter.

Any case here are some links to the posts written so far on spreadsheets and software:

Plane Frames

  1. Plane Frame Analysis
  2. Plane Frame Analysis Front End
  3. Plane Frame Analysis Alternative Front End
  4. Plane Frame Analysis Front End Version 4
  5. Plane Frame Analysis Back End

Other Structural

  1. Barriers Design
  2. Steel Design AS4600
  3. Materials Library
  4. Simple Shed Calculator for fixed base Gable Frame, using Kleinlogel Formula
  5. Soil Heave Calculator
  6. Contents of schTechLIB
Miscellaneous